Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Gebrselassie to Run Again This Saturday

Legendary Ethiopian runner Haile Gebrselassie will come out of retirement by running the 10000m at the THALES FBK-Games in Hengele, Netherlands this Saturday, May 26th. Gebrselassie set 3 world records on this track and is known as "Mr. Hengelo." He said he isn't as good a runner as he was in the 1990s, but:
"Hengelo is my favourite race. I am training well and I have done training sessions on the track again. So came the idea to start Saturday in Hengelo.

People must not expect that I will attack the World record...The first thing I want is to race again on the track to feel the public and the atmosphere. If there is a possibility to win, I will go for it."

Gebrselassie took track and field distance running to a whole new level in the 1990s, including breaking the 5000m world record by an incredible 10.91 seconds. The rest of the East Africans have since caught up with him, but – at age 34 – Mr. Hengelo probably still has a few surprises for them, and the rest of us. As Tank told Neo in The Matrix, "I'm fairly excited to see what you're capable of."

Finish Line Pundit Archives