Saturday, June 9, 2007

BENGAY® Can Kill You?!?

A 17 year old high school cross-country runner from New York died of an apparent overdose of Methyl salicylate, the active ingredient found in many pain-relieving sports balms such as BENGAY® and ICY HOT®. These balms are routinely used by millions of athletes to treat sore muscles and joints. According to the NY Times, "methyl salicylate poisoning is unusual, and deaths from high levels of the chemical are rare." The NY Times article also mentioned that:

'Johnson & Johnson, the makers of BENGAY®, expressed sympathy for the family in a statement.

The company reminded consumers about “the importance of reading the label on this and all over-the-counter medicines to ensure safe and proper use.”'

It appears that this tragedy could have been avoided. Be sure and read those warning labels, folks. Your life could depend on it.

Finish Line Pundit Archives